• Question: What made you want to help elderly people who are become unwell and did you always want this job?

Asked by sake9fan on 19 Jul 2021.
    • Photo: Anna Davis

Anna Davis answered on 19 Jul 2021:

Helping elderly people is only one part of my job as a practice nurse I try to keep them from getting unwell. I looked after a lot of palliative care (dying) patients in my last job is was always a priviledge to be there making them as comfortable as I can.

• Photo: Laurence Quirk

Laurence Quirk answered on 20 Jul 2021:

I don’t work with older patients but in a previous job I helped set up clubs for older people. Clubs are really important in helping people stay connected to friends and their local community. The clubs I used to set up, offered a meal to older people which can be vital. Often some who lived on their own didn’t always feel like cooking for one and may have just had toast. If they didn’t eat well it could mean they became unwell and needed medical attention.

• Photo: Jamie Hynes

Jamie Hynes answered on 20 Jul 2021:

Elderly patients are a big part of our job, and it’s about providing the care we would want to receive or for our family to receive. After all I’d quite like to be elderly one day!!
      Rarely we can cure disease, and alot of the time we can give something as a treatment that has more benefits than side effects, bt we are always in a position to sit and listen- alot of the time that’s what patients value most- the time we spend and invest in them.
      Hope that comes across in I’m a Medic for you students too!

Comments